Drash Cards for VaYikra (5761)
by Marc Mangel
• This is the Torat Cohanim — the Torah of the Priests. How do we who are not priests, and even those who are, think about it today?
• The root of Kar-ban is Ka-rov: to get close.
• To get close to God you have to give of yourself (Ch 2, v 2)
• Judaism is a religion of action. Then it was bringing sacrifices
• Now it is doing the mitzvot. Getting on the path is the key here.
• Of course, we may miss the mark. Then missing the mark was corrected by the sacrifices — and the prophets railed against empty sacrifice.
• Now it s doing the mitzvot, even if you do not do all of them. God does not want lip service or excuses (‘I am non-practicing orthodox).