Drash Cards for Shemini (5764)
by Marc Mangel
• We have the order of the kinds of sacrifices, the death of Nadav and Avihu after offering a strange fire, and the laws of Kashrut
• Ch 10, v 16 is half of the Torah by words; Ch 11, v 42 is half of the Torah by letters
• I want to discuss Ch 9, v6 and v 24: The glory of the Lord will appear and appeared.
• The word for glory of the Lord is “Cavod”, with a route “cavved” – – meaning heavy
• The glory of the Lord is heavy. For a long time we have not seen that kind of glory.
• R. Solevetchik quoted his grandfather, Rav Chaim Briskev: “We attain the glory of the Lord through small acts of kindness — the interpersonal mitzvot — in this world”.
• So, if we feel that we have not seen the glory of the Lord for a while, we also know how to correct the problem.