Crash Cards for Shemini (5765)
by Marc Mangel
• This is the fifth time that I drash on Shemini in 9 years here.
• Once again, I am drawn to Ch 9, v6, v23: The glory of the Lord will appear, appeared.
• Glory is “Kavod” but translated by the JPS as “Presence”
• The Chozek of Lubin said “we become tabernacles, filled with God”
• The Tora Kohanim says “God’s greatest glory is acceptance of repentance, so if we truly repent, the glory of HaShem will appear”
• The root of “Kavod” is “Kaved” — heavy. The presence/glory of the Lord is heavy.
• R. Solevetchik quoted his grandfather: “the function of halachic man is to address grievances of those who are abandoned and alone, to protect the dignity of the poor, and to save the oppressed from the oppressor”.
• R. Salanter was even more specific: “the most difficult aspect of Divine service is to be scrupulously honest in one’s business transactions, and this is the first thing for which a person is judged in the Heavenly Court” (Shabbat 31a)
• The glory of the Lord is not ecstasy but serious and we attain it through small acts of kindness — the interpersonal mitzvot — in this world.