Drash Cards for Truman (5760)
by Marc Mangel
• This parish begins (Ch 25, v1, 2) with the first ever fund-raising campaign with the principle that everyone gives towards the building of the mishkan.
• The Rabbi’s tell us that we should learn a moral lesson from every detail of building the mishkan.
• For example, in Ch 25, v 37 we read “light shines towards them” from the front side (‘al ever paneha’) but the direction does the light of the Menorah radiate?
• Rashbam thinks that the lamps shine towards the Menorah’s front but Sifrei concludes that the lamps must shine towards the center.
• This is consistent with two approaches to Judaism.
• One is that all light should be projected outwardly — the role of religion is to illuminate the world.
• Or the light should shine inwardly — the role of religion is to illuminate the soul.
• We should aim for a middle road.