Drash Cards for Pekudei (5765)
by Marc Mangel
• All the commentators seek to explain ‘Pekudei’ = account
• The simple explanation: Leaders are responsible to account for how they spend public funds.
• Rav Shlomo Yosef Levin notes that we usually read together VaYakel/Pekudei — Gather/Account.
• Pekudei calls on us to count every detail separately and symbolizes the value of the individual.
•In Duties of the Heart , Ibn Ben Bachya writes in Section 8 ‘Gate of Self Accounting’ : Self accounting is earnest deliberation on one’s religious and secular concerns, in the privacy of one’s thoughts, to discover what one has accomplished and yet to accomplish of his obligations.
• Each and every one of us is obligated to make a personal accounting and Ibn Bachya gives 30 ways to do it!
• The benefit of such accounting is the effect on our spirit.
• Self accounting is obligatory for each of us and after the accounting appropriate action should follow.