Drash Cards for Lech Lecha (5764)
by Marc Mangel
• Why “Lech lecha” rather than “Lech” — why “Go. Go” instead of “Go”?
• Lech implies physical movement; adding Lecha includes spiritual and intellectual engagement
• It is not enough to go to the new land, but to one must engage oneself.
• There’s a difference between knowing the path to walk and walking that path.
• The land will be revealed to Avram as he traverses it — this is the start of the covenant that is concluded at Sinai.
• Another interpretation: Born or choose to be Jewish: Lech . Accumulated knowledge and daily practice: Lecha — since this defines who we are spiritually
• Part of the journey for us is not just spiritual but physical and going to Israel — going to the promised land is part of the spiritual journey. So plan to visit Israel this year