Drash Cards for Lech Lecha (5762)
by Marc Mangel
• This is the beginning of the Biblical narrative.
• How old was Abraham when he got the word? The Chazal place a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 48 years, but he did not leave Haran until he was 75 years old.
• In Chapter 14 we have a big battle of kinds. In verse 12, Lot is captured and in v 13-15 there are night time raids in two parties.
• Rashi comments on verse 14 that there were 318 men or Elizer alone (318 is the gematria of his name)
• Why don’t we ever heard about Abraham as a great warrior?
• A sociological reason (which could also be why the Book of Maccabees is not in the Jewish Bible) is that Jews were not militaristic/mighty from 70AD until 1948 AD
• A transformative reason: when he goes from Avram to Abraham, he loses/gives up his military instincts.
• And a spiritual reason: he was capable of militaristic action but now felt that he did not need to use those abilities.
• We are children of Abraham — and following in his tradition we should be careful about when and if we use our physical abilities rather than our chesed when solving a problem