Drash Cards for Chaye Sarah (ca 5760)
by Marc Mangel
• We have the cycle of the world: death (Sarah), marriage (Isaac), death (Abraham)
• “Chaye Sarah” is translated as “Life of Sarah”; what matters is not the days of our life but the life of our days.
• In Ch 23, v1 we learn Sarah was a youth for 100 years, adult for 20 years, and in old age for 7 years giving a total of 127 years, which is the 31st prime
• She is buried in Kiryat Arba (the city of 4 giants). Couples buried there are Adam and Eve, Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rivka, and Jacob and Leah.
• The centerpiece of the story is the purchase of the cave of Machpelah. This land was promised by God but Abraham did not just take it — he bought it. The Chazal put him higher than Moses because of this.
• In Ch 24, v22 we have gold nose rings and bracelets, with weights given. This reminds us that even the Patriarchs traveled between the lofty and the physical, one of the great duality of Judaism.