Drash Cards for VaYashev (5765)
by Marc Mangel
• From now until the end of Beresheet God is silent.
• We have three Avot, but Jacob’s sons are called ‘tribes’. And of them only Joseph is called a Tzadik.
• Here’s the drash that I cannot give: “Why did God not talk to Joseph?”. I cannot give it because there are no commentaries on this question.
• Today I want to discuss Ch 37, v 9-11 (read out loud).
• A number of points. First, Sforno and Pluskin conclude that we should avoid boasting (by asking ourselves how will listeners react)
• Second, it is not clear why Jacob berates Joseph; perhaps because of the death of his mother. Or possibly that Joseph is referring to Bilah as his mother.
• Third, the Talmud notes that only part of a dream comes true.
• The Talmud also tells us that a morning dream is more likely to be true.
• So: Dream on my friends