Drash Cards for Miketz (5761)
by Marc Mangel
• I want to consider Ch 41, v 44-45. All the commentators agree that Poti-phera is Potiphar and the Osnat is his daughter. But who is Joseph’s mother in law? How could Joseph even consider such a marriage?
• The Midrash teaches that Potiphar’s wife had a vision that her blood was linked to the future of the Jewish people. Rashi even teaches that her actions were ‘purely’ intended.
• What do we learn? First, that Sarah and Rivka had perfect vision but, secondly, that Potiphar’s wife had imperfect vision.
• Also: one cannot ram destiny down the throat of others, which is what Potiphar’s wife tried to do.
• Amazingly, Joseph did the same thing (Ch 37, v5ff)