Drash Cards for Vetchanan (5764)
by Marc Mangel
• Today, I want to first discuss Ch3, v 25-28 — Moses’s plea to enter the land. God says no. Joshua will lead.
• From this, we learn that every generation needs its own leaders.
• Next, I want to check Ch 4, v1: why is it written “El HaChuchkim” rather than “Et”? One interpretation is that the change from “Et” to “El” is the change from mental to physical — this is not in our brains, it is in our actions
• What is the difference between Halacha — a path — and Chukim — the laws? Being on the path is what is most important.
• Finally, I want to consider Ch 4, v9: make them known to your children and your children’s children. The message here is that strength comes from multigenerational learning.
• The three messages of today’s parsha: every generation needs its own leaders; what matters is our actions; and strength comes from multigenerational learning