Drash Cards for VaYeilich (5760)
by Marc Mangel
• This parsha is read either on Shabbat Shuvah or the week before Rosh HaShannah (in which case it is read with Nitzavim).
• In it, Moses announces his retirement, writes the Torah and gives it to the priests, and puts Joshua in charge. God then tells Moses what will happen (Ch 31, v 16-22) because the Israelites are not ready
• Why does God let them cross the Jordan if they are not ready?
• Here is a 2 sentence drash.
• 1. You can wander in the desert for 40 years and still not be ready to enter the promised land.
• 2 We cannot wait until we are ‘ready’ to do Teshuvah because we will never be; rather we need to start now, regardless of our readiness.
• And here’s the practical tip: Have the wisdom to change your life from where you are. Don’t find any reason to wait.