Drash Cards for BaMidbar (5762)
by Marc Mangel
• Desert: A place where we learn to live with less. Where the web of life is fragile and delicately connected.
• Where the essence of a person is revealed — think of this in the weeks to come
• Why was the Torah given in the desert?
• To teach us that Torah lifestyle does not depend upon where you live.
• Torah presupposes nothing about place or time.
• Also known as Chumash Hapekudim — the book of the census.
• We are counted as individuals, family units, and communities.
• But also taught by Rashi, through Ch 3, v1, that whoever teaches a friend’s son Torah is viewed as if he had fathered the child — thus blending family units and communities.