Drash Cards for Naso (5765)
by Marc Mangel
• Ch 5, v 7 is the beginning of Teshuvah: “They must acknowledge for themselves the sin they comitted”
• Teshuvah consists of 1) regret for one’s past conduct; 2) the oral confession of it (Naso); and 3) the firm decision never to repeat it
• This is not about punishment, it is about rehabilitation. It is the Jewish ‘3 step process’
• We know Ch 6, v 22-26 (read) well, but what does it mean? Materially? Intellectually? Spiritually?
• In the Dead Sea Scrolls read:
• “May the Lord bless you with all good and keep you from evil
• “May He illume your heart with insight to the things of life and grace you with knowledge of things eternal.
• “May he lift his gracious countenance towards you and grant you peace everlasting”
• Reb Zimmie wrote his own version
• “May God bless and keep you always.
• “May your wishes all come true.
• “May you always do for others and let others do for you.
• “May you build a latter to the stars and climb on every rung.
•” And my you stay forever young”