A Drash for Kedoshim (5770)
• Recently visited our younger daughter, who is doing a MSc at Ohio State. She noted that so many people who do not swear for religious reasons gossip like wild. This brings to light the problem with reading only part of the Torah and its commentaries.
• Today we are told (Ch 19, v 16) that gossip is like shedding blood. BUT HOW DO WE AVOID GOSSIP?
• The third Lubavitcher Rebbe noted that we dont gossip about ourselves for the traits we do not like. That is, we overlook in ourselves the traits we dislike — and we must do the same with others, since we are told to love others as we love ourselves,
• In fact, in precisely the next verse we read: “You shall love your fellow as yourself, I am HaShem”.
• The Rebbe told us “What good is Chasidut and piety if the main quality of Ahavat Yisroel is lacking?”